Frequently Asked Parent Questions

  • What type of agreement will my son/daughter be asked to sign?

    All of our tenancy agreements are joint and several.  This means that they are all jointly and equally responsible for all rent payments and any damage caused to the property.

  • Can I have a copy of the agreement?

    Blank copies of our tenancy agreement and charter can be found here.  Should you have any questions about either of these documents please let us know.  

    Copies of signed documents can be provided on request.

  • What is a guarantor?

    A guarantor is someone that will sign a legally binding document stating that if the tenant fails to pay the rent or any associated tenancy charges, the guarantor will cover these costs. 

    Each tenant is required to have a guarantor with a permanent UK address.  If you live in the Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Northern Ireland, please contact the office.

  • Will I be acting as guarantor to any of the other tenants?

    No (unless you specifically chose to do so).  Each tenant is required to provide their own guarantor.

  • My child wishes to move out of the property

    The tenancy agreement is for a fixed term of 12 months and there is no break clause.  This means that your son/daughter is responsible for paying the rent and any charges until the agreement expires.  However, it may be possible for us to release you child from the agreement provided that they find a suitable replacement.  Please contact us for further information.

  • When & how is the rent paid?

    The rent is due on the 1st of each month and is payable by Direct Debit.  We understand the difficulties that students face with regards to expense and try to be versatile and accommodating.  We are more than happy to arrange payments in line with student loans. 

    If there is a problem paying the rent at any time, please contact the office and we will do our best to help.

  • Is insurance provided?

    We insure the building and the tenants need to insure their own contents and ours.  Companies like Endsleigh are specifically aimed at students.  It may also be worth checking your own policy to see if it covers your son/daughter whilst away from home.

  • Is Council Tax payable?

    Provided that all of the tenants are in full time education then they are exempt from paying Council Tax.  Each person will need to obtain a Certificate of Full Time Education from the University and send it off to the Council.  We recommend sending all certificates at the same time in the same envelope.

  • What's included in the rent?

    The rent includes a reasonable consumption of gas, water and electricity.  Most of our properties now have smart meters so you can easily see the amount the proeprty is  using . All properties will have a usage cap and that will be shown on the house notice.  These figures are based on the historic consumption for that particular house and are regularly monitored. Water meter meters are read on a regular basis . Any usage over the cap will be charged at the end of the tenancy at cost. 

    All Lithend properties now include broadband internet included free of charge

  • Is there a deposit to pay?

    No - The good news is Lithend do not ask for any deposit.

  • What happens if something breaks?

    We have our own dedicated maintenance team to take care of any issues that may arise.  They are all extremely trustworthy and helpful.  

    Any general maintenance requests should be reported via email